Warm Bacon Potato Salad
- 3 pound medium boiling potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 pound bacon (5 slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Cover potatoes generously with cold salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 3 quarts water) in a pot and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain potatoes.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm, peel and cut into 1-inch pieces, then toss with vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving fat in skillet.
- Add 1/4 cup of hot bacon fat to potatoes and toss. Coarsely crumble bacon on top, then add chives and salt and pepper to taste and toss.
I am a big fan of the potato salad and have tried many different varieties over the years. One of my favorite kinds is my Mom’s German potato salad. I do prefer warm potato salad so I figured I would give this recipe a shot.
This version of potato salad was pretty good. I would have like a little bit more vinegar taste overall. We also cooked the potatoes a little too long. Other than that I really enjoyed this dish. Would Make This Recipe Again For Sure.